Vallejo Police Department reopens after evacuation for high carbon monoxide levels

Image 1 of 2

The Vallejo Police Department was evacuated on Thursday after elevated carbon monoxide levels were detected, according to fire officials.

At around 7 a.m. firefighters and hazmat crews were dispatched to Vallejo PD headquarters at 111 Amador St. Dispatchers had reported a strong stench that smelled like rotten eggs. 

The odor was traced to a backup battery in an electrical room. Hazmat crews responded to the scene to assess the battery. The police station reopened about an hour later. No one was injured.