WARNING: Do not plug space heaters into power strips, fire officials say

North Davis Fire District 

The cold weather is here in the Carolinas and so is the need to stay warm and toasty, but if you use a space heater, fire officials are warning you to not plug it into an extension cord or a power strip. 

Doing so is a major fire hazard, according to fire authorities. 

According to fire officials, these devices are not designed to handle the energy load of a space heater and can overheat, and even catch fire. 

Heating elements inside a space heater can reportedly get up to more than 500°F to 600°F. Residents should plug their space heaters directly into the wall, and always keep an eye on it when it's in use.