'Wonderful news': Missing 4-year-old boy in south Charlotte found safe
CHARLOTTE, NC (FOX 46 WJZY) - Charlotte-Mecklenburg police announced just after 9 a.m. Friday missing 4-year-old Justin Villeda Idiarte was located safe and alive in south Charlotte after more than eight hours of searching.
"Thank you to everyone who helped in this search," police said. The young boy was located inside an apartment that officers with the Missing Persons Unit had searched earlier in the day.
CMPD believes the child was able to open the front door and walk out of the apartment on his own.
Authorities said they had received the 911 call from family at 12:50 a.m. Friday, November 30.
Justin had been last seen in his apartment in the 6600 block of Montcrest Drive on Friday. CMPD told FOX 46 Charlotte his mother was reportedly asleep and woke up when she believed the child went to the bathroom. She said she dozed back off and woke up to realize he was gone.
Authorities expanded the search area Friday to a two mile radius and K-9 Units were on scene.
CMPD told FOX 46 Charlotte the father of Justin was alerted that his child was missing via the local media. He arrived on scene at Montcrest Drive to ask what was going on and police said they took him to CMPD Headquarters for questioning and to gain more insight into the family.
Detective Tuttle was the assigned detective for this case and his number is 704-336-8340.