VALLEJO, Calif. (KTVU) - Improperly disposed illegal fireworks are to blame for sparking an early morning house fire in Vallejo that left one family homeless and caused nearly half a milllion dollars in damage.
According to Vallejo Fire officials, the blaze was reported around 1:15a.m. on the 100 block of Dieninger Street.
The fire was mostly contained to the garage, but caused about $500,000 in damage.
According to investigators, the homeowner set off the fireworks earlier in the evening and then discarded them near the garage.
He even put water on them to extinguish any lingering sparks, but that was not enough to prevent the fire.
The family of 4 was displaced and is being assisted by the Red Cross.
No injuries were reported.
Any and all types of fireworks are illegal in Solano County including within the city limits of Vallejo.
"Safe and Sane" fireworks are legally sold in Dixon, Rio Vista, & Suisun City but they can only be used within the city limits of those cities.
According to CalFire, the punishment for possessing illegal fireworks can be as stiff as a $50,000 fine or up to a year in prison, depending on how many fireworks a person possess.