Karmelo Anthony’s bid for new trial denied by newly appointed judge
Convicted Frisco teen fights for a new murder trial
Karmelo Anthony continues his fight for a new trial in the stabbing death of Austin Metcalf. Details are now being made public about the past of both teenagers.
MCKINNEY, Texas - A judge on Saturday denied Karmelo Anthony’s request for a new trial in the fatal stabbing of Frisco student Austin Metcalf during a track meet last year.
19-year-old Anthony was convicted of murder in June and sentenced to 35 years in prison. Judge Michael Chitty, who was newly appointed to hear the matter after the judge who oversaw the trial was removed from the appeal process.
Newly appointed judge denies request for new trial
On Aug. 22, Judge Chitty denied Karmelo Anthony's request for a new trial.
"Upon reviewing the motion, the record, the evidence and argument, the briefs, and the relevant case law, the Court has determined that the motion should be denied," the judge's order states. "It is therefore considered, ordered, and adjudged by the Court that the Motion for New Trial is denied."
Local perspective:
"We respect, and expected, the court’s decision denying the motion for a new trial. The jury’s guilty verdict stands, and we remain confident in the process. Every defendant has the right to appeal, and our thoughts and prayers remain with the Metcalf family in the painful wake of last week’s hearing," said Collin County District Attorney Greg Willis.
Defense challenged attorney agreement, courtroom access
The backstory:
Anthony’s new attorneys argued that his rights were violated through undocumented conferences held by former Collin County Judge John Roach and pretrial hearings Anthony did not attend.
They also argued Anthony was denied his Sixth Amendment right to a public trial because of decisions limiting courtroom access during his trial.
A central issue at Friday’s hearing was a "gentleman’s agreement" between prosecutors and Anthony’s original defense attorneys to keep certain character evidence involving both Anthony and Metcalf out of the trial.
Former defense attorney Toby Shook testified the agreement was intended to focus the case on what happened "under the tent," where the stabbing occurred. Shook said he believed the agreement would have allowed Anthony to testify in support of a self-defense claim without allowing prosecutors to introduce other potentially damaging evidence.
Shook testified that Anthony taking the stand was the "only effective way" for jurors to hear why he believed deadly force was necessary. He said Anthony’s testimony could have supported a self-defense claim or possibly resulted in a conviction on the lesser charge of manslaughter.
Prosecutor Bill Wirskye testified the agreement was intended to protect both sides from damaging character evidence entering the public record and affecting the jury pool. He said the state gave up "a whole lot" through the agreement.
During closing arguments, prosecutors argued the courtroom remained accessible to the public and media, while the defense said the decision to stop using an overflow room during the trial improperly limited public access.
What happened at the track meet?
Karmelo Anthony arrest body cam footage
On Friday, June 19, the judge who presided over The State of Texas vs. Karmelo Anthony released evidence from the trial. This is police body camera footage from Anthony's arrest.
Anthony was convicted of murder in the April 2, 2025, stabbing death of 17-year-old Austin Metcalf during a regional high school track meet at Kuykendall Stadium in Frisco.
Investigators said Anthony, then a Centennial High School student, was sitting under the Memorial High School team tent when Metcalf, a Memorial student, told him to leave. Authorities said they found no evidence the two teens knew each other before the confrontation.
Stadium surveillance video released after the trial shows Metcalf and his friends walking toward the tent. Later footage shows Anthony running from the tent and out of the stadium after the stabbing.
Karmelo Anthony case: Court releases surveillance video
Karmelo Anthony was found guilty of murder for the stabbing of Austin Metcalf in 2025. Following the guilty verdict, a Collin County judge released several files, including body camera and surveillance video. The footage shows the moments before and immediately after the fatal stabbing. Anthony was sentenced to 35 years in prison.
Witnesses identified Anthony to a school resource officer shortly afterward, according to his arrest report. Police body camera video shows Anthony telling an officer that Metcalf "put his hands on me" and that he had acted to protect himself.
In another recording, Anthony told an officer, "I did it," after police referred to him as the alleged suspect.
A 911 caller said a friend had been stabbed under the tent and asked for an ambulance. Images of the knife used in the stabbing and additional surveillance video were also released following the trial.
Anthony has maintained that he acted in self-defense.
Featured
WATCH: Karmelo Anthony trial evidence released by Collin County judge
Evidence from the Karmelo Anthony murder trial was released by a Collin County judge on Friday night, including police body camera footage of Anthony's arrest.
What's next:
The case will now move forward through the Fifth Court of Appeals.
This is a developing story. Refresh this page for updates.
The Source: Information in this story came from FOX 4 news and previous FOX Local reporting.

