Man inadvertently sets self on fire, airlifted to UC Davis

Image 1 of 3

A man outside a business spilled gasoline on himself, which ignited during a disturbance, setting himself on fire Thursday afternoon in Concord, officials say.   

Concord Police Department was called to a disturbance on the 1100 block of Meadow Lane near Monument Boulevard. Firefighters responded to a medical call at 2:21 p.m.

The victim was airlifted from the scene in a helicopter and taken to University of California at Davis for severe burns. 

Police spokesman Cpl. David Petty said the 39-year-old man "was a party to a disturbance and inadvertently spilt gas on himself. Petty said the man's burns were considered non-life threatening. 

Police said the incident did not appear to be an act of protest and it was not being investigated as arson. 

Bay City News contributed to this report.