One San Jose student shot, another arrested

Authorities said a shooting near a San Jose high school Thursday morning left one student wounded and another in custody.

According to the San Jose Police Department, the shooting occurred around 10:43 a.m. in the area of Lucretia Avenue and Taji Drive, not far from Yerba Buena High School.

Authorities said the shooting involved at least two Yerba Bueno High School students. One of them was injured and is expected to survive.

A second student was arrested and authorities said they are still looking for another suspect in the case.

The incident was the fourth shooting since last weekend and prompted some parents to come to the high school campus early to pick up their children.

"Oh, of course fear. My child is here. My only kid. So I rushed out here, trying to get my kid," said parent Oscar Garcia.

Garcia was one of several parents who waited anxiously outside the gates of the high school.

San Jose police investigators said Thursday morning a student walked to the school and told administrators that he had been shot by another student.

"Police officers quickly came into the area. Right now I can also confirm that we have at least one suspect in custody, also a male juvenile. We have also recovered a firearm," said Sgt. Christian Camarillo of the San Jose Police Department.

A shelter-in-place was ordered as uniformed officers searched an area of around the high school for clues and a second suspect.

"This is worrisome. I live in the neighborhood," said neighbor Mitchell Sharpe, who was also at the school to get his son, a freshman.

Some parents and students said the surrounding Yerba Buena neighborhood has seen violence, but never so close to its namesake high school.

"Sometimes there are fights. But you know, that’s like, I feel like every school has fights because of problems," said senior Britney Partida. Added Sharpe,"We’ve lived here for about two years. And in the two years we’ve seen about six shootings and about three deaths."

Detectives are checking to see if Thursday's shooting involved an untraceable ghost gun.

Officers lamented the rash of gun violence since last weekend that left one dead and two injured.

"Now we have juveniles out here with guns. We need to do something. We are going to do something. We need to combat this problem, together. It’s going to take more than just the police," said Camarillo.

He pointed to his department’s recently announced ghost gun buyback program, as a way to help get guns off the streets.