Second juvenile in BART mob robbery arrested
OAKLAND, Calif. (KTVU, BCN) - One juvenile remained in custody Monday in connection with the brazen mob robbery on BART last month in which several passengers were targeted.
Alicia Trost, a BART spokeswoman, told KTVU that a minor was taken into custody on Friday around 1 p.m. but was later released. She said a second minor was arrested by Oakland police shortly before 5 p.m. on Friday and that juvenile remained in police custody.
BART police had sought an arrest warrant for that suspect in connection with the April 22 incident during which a mob of 40 to 60 young people stormed onto a train at the Coliseum station.
On Friday, a plainclothes Oakland police officer witnessed three people involved in a robbery shortly before 5 p.m. in the area of 62nd Ave. and Camden Street, according to investigators.
Additional officers were called to the scene. A police pursuit followed after the driver didn't yield to a traffic stop, according to BART officials.
The pursuit ended when the suspect vehicle collided with another vehicle near Interstate 880 and Hegenberger Road.
Three boys fled but were eventually taken into custody, BART officials said.
One of those suspects ended up being one of the juveniles wanted in connection with the mob robbery.
He was identified using surveillance video, BART officials said.
The suspect remains in custody at Alameda County Juvenile Hall on charges related to both incidents.
"The fact this juvenile was out committing a robbery in another jurisdiction with other minors just days following the BART incident is testament of the need for agencies to work together collaboratively to solve regional issues and share resources and intelligence data," acting police Chief Jeff Jennings said in a statement.
Earlier that afternoon, Bart officials announced a separate arrest in the case.
That person is also a minor and police are not releasing any information about the suspect.
Oakland police told KTVU, while BART police are heading the investigation, OPD is working in collaboration with BART and offering and its support.
Police are still working to identify all of the suspects in the case.
On April 22, witnesses reported that the suspects jumped the fare gates at the Coliseum station, then boarded a Dublin train and committed at least seven robberies, the agency's police log said.
Two people suffered facial and head injuries and were treated by paramedics, according to the log.
"We will continue to have increased police presence in and around the affected area and throughout the entire system. We are currently developing a regional plan working collaboratively with allied agencies to address and solve the issue,” according to BART police.
Officials say police are continuing to talk with robbery victims and using video surveillance footage from inside the train as part of their investigation.