Deputy shoots armed man during standoff in Gilroy

An hours-long standoff with a suspect who fired a gun at sheriff's deputies in Gilroy, ended with the man being shot, authorities said.

The incident started around 8 a.m. at the suspect's home on Dryden Avenue and Bishop Court after sheriff's deputies tried to conduct a welfare check, according to the Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office.

The suspect barricaded himself inside his home where he was armed with a gun, authorities said.

Deputies attempted to negotiate with the armed man, who at some point, fired shots at them.

"We are continuing to use all deescalation measures for a peaceful outcome," the sheriff's office said in a tweet.

The standoff ended nine hours later, when a deputy shot the suspect.

The suspect was taken to a nearby hospital and is expected to survive.


Man with machete takes 3 hostages, killed by San Jose police

San Jose police say a man who had barricaded himself in a home Wednesday night with a machete and three hostages was killed by police.

A deputy was also wounded in the incident after he was hit by a ricochet bullet. He is in stable condition, a sheriff's office spokesperson said.

Mike Summers told KTVU he lives nearby and was awakened by the gun fire.

"Eventually the swat team moved in, and they were yelling at him on the microphone, "Hey come out with your hands up. We’re going to use lethal force against you, and they sent in the police dogs, and they got him," Summers said.

The Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Office has not confirmed why the suspect shot at deputies or the tactics used to get the man out of the house. At one point during the standoff, smoke could also be seen coming from the home, but Sheriffs say they don’t know what caused it.

"Cal Fire did respond to a smoke fire somewhere in that vicinity, but I don’t have exact details as to how that fire started, as if, was it self-initiated by the suspect or whatnot. I don’t have that information," said Russell Davis, Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Office Spokesperson.

The Sheriff’s Office did not release any other information about the suspect except to say that he was an adult male.