Oxygen tank explodes, burns two at Oakland duplex
OAKLAND (BCN)— Two men suffered second-degree burns in a two-alarm fire that started when an oxygen tank exploded Tuesday afternoon in an East Oakland duplex, a fire battalion chief said.
The fire was first reported at 3:21 p.m. near 76th Avenue and Hillside Street, a few blocks from the Eastmont Town Center.
The fire destroyed one unit and damaged the other. In all, the fire did about $600,000 in damage to the structure, Battalion Chief Ian McWhorter said.
A hazardous materials team was called because firefighters found butane, which is used in the production of hash oil - an illegal drug that has effects similar to marijuana.
Explosions are not uncommon when people are making hash oil.
Police did not immediately return a call seeking comment.
The explosion occurred in a bedroom, McWhorter said. Firefighters first thought the fire required a smaller one-alarm response, but the fire was upgraded to two alarms before 3:51 p.m.
The fire was extinguished at about 6:21 p.m.