Oakland police chase ends in deadly crash

A police chase involving an alleged hit-and-run driver in Oakland on Monday morning ended in the death of an innocent motorist, authorities said. 

According to Oakland Police Chief LeRonne Armstrong, officers were in pursuit of 23-year-old Jonathan Hernandez, who is suspected of being involved in a hit-and-run crash on Friday.

While in pursuit of Hernandez's vehicle, the suspect crashed at 69th Avenue and San Leandro Boulevard into a red Toyota Tacoma pickup truck being driven by a 44-year-old man. 

Armstrong said the driver of the pickup truck died at the scene. His name is not yet being released. 

"It's unfortunate," said Chief Armstrong. "Our hearts go out to the family of the person who lost his life. Again, a senseless crime that could have been avoided."

Hernandez was arrested at the scene and police recovered a gun. He was booked by OPD on suspicion of vehicular manslaughter, evading police and gun violations. He's also being held for allegedly brandishing a gun and threatening another driver in a crash from three days ago. 

The case is pending review by Alameda County prosecutors, Chief Armstrong said. 

Officials said the other case Hernandez was involved in was another crash on Friday near 73rd Avenue and International Boulevard. In that incident, Hernandez allegedly got out of his car and threatened the other driver with a gun. 

"Hernandez got out of his vehicle, threatened the individual by brandishing a firearm and racking the slide at the individual," Armstrong said.

The alleged road rage displayed by Hernandez Friday is similar to two other incidents earlier this month in East Oakland, Armstrong said. One occurred at 98th Avenue and San Leandro Boulevard and the other took place at 98th Avenue and International Boulevard. In both road rage cases, a person brandished a gun and fired it, he said. 

Officers got a warrant to arrest Hernandez for criminal threats and brandishing a fire arm. 

SEE ALSO: Car drives through Bay Area school, shoots pellets into classroom

On Monday, officers spotted Hernandez getting into the same car, and they attempted to make contact with him. Hernandez fled in his car and police followed. 

That's when the deadly crash occurred.

The officers involved in the pursuit were not injured. 

Armstrong said Monday's pursuit was authorized by a police supervisor, according to department policy. 

"In line with department policy, the officers involved in this incident will be placed on administrative leave pending an investigation," Armstrong said.