Retired Bay Area police chief's estranged son charged in Uptown Oakland murder

Image 1 of 2

The son of a retired Bay Area police chief, who was already on probation for the attack of an elderly Sikh man, has been arrested and was charged on Wednesday for murder. 

Tyrone McAllister, 19, and 28-year-old Dennis Evans were both charged by Alameda County District Attorney with the shooting death of Janath Liyanage on Aug. 20 in the Uptown Oakland neighborhood. Both men were charged with special circumstance murder. 

The charges stem from last week, when Oakland police arrived on the 600 block of 20th Street around 11:14 p.m. to investigate the report of a robbery and shooting. Liyanage was found by police, suffering a gunshot wound. He was taken to a local hospital but died the next day. McAllister and Evans did not know Liyanage, according to the East Bay Times. They were identified as the suspects through video surveillance and other evidence. Evans was arrested last Wednesday and McAllister on Friday.

McAlllister was already on probation for the highly-publicized beating of a 71-year-old Sikh man in Manteca last August. 

The teen is also the estranged son of the ex-Union City Police Chief Darryl McAllister, who retired last December.

In response to the attack on the Sikh man, Darryl McAllister wrote a long and personal statement  on the Union City Police Department's Facebook page,  saying he was "disgusted" and "devastated by how much the nature of his son's actions are such a departure from everything he has stood for in his personal life and 37 year career of compassionate, engaging police work."

Darryl McAllister continued: "Words can barely describe how embarrassed, dejected, and hurt my wife, daughters, and I feel right now. Violence and hatred is not what we have taught our children; intolerance for others is not even in our vocabulary, let alone our values. Crime has never been an element of our household, our values, nor the character to which we hold ourselves."

Darryl McAllister said his son began to lose his way a couple years ago, "running away and getting involved in a bad crowd. He pretty much divorced his friends and family, associating with people none of us knew. He got into trouble for some theft-related crimes and ended up spending several months in juvenile hall. As an adult, he was again arrested for a theft-related incident, and he ended up spending another three months in adult jail as a result. Since being released he has been wayward and has not returned to our family home for several months."