San Jose police release photos of 3 suspects accused of assaults at Trump rally

Image 1 of 4

San Jose police are looking to locate and identify three additional suspects responsible for assaults at the Donald Trump rally on Thursday June 2, 2016

Police released two photos of the suspects Thursday morning. Police announced Thursday afternoon that they had taken a fourth juvenile into custody. The 16-year-old San Jose resident was charged with battery, battery with a gang enhancement and vandalism. The two battery incidents were on separate victims according to police. Police said the vandalism charge was done on private property. 

SJPD had released a photo of another suspect on Wednesday. Police are asking anyone with information on the suspects to call 408-277-4161.

On Wednesday, three additional juvenile suspects who they say are responsible for separate assaults at the rally were arrested.  Two of them were arrested for felony assault with a deadly weapon and the third was arrested for misdemeanor battery.

One of the felony assaults involved a victim who was walking down the sidewalk and hit from behind with a blunt object according to police. The other, they say involved a victim who was chased and tackled to the ground. 

The third battery incident involved another victim being chased and tackled to the ground. 

Four suspects were already taken into custody earlier this week.

SJPD is asking for the public’s assistance identifying and locating an eighth suspect whose photo was released and who they say was responsible for an assault during the Trump rally.
 

The police chief has come under fire for his handling of the situation. At the Santa Clara County Republican Party meeting, Chief Garcia adamantly denied reports he ordered officers to "stand down" during rally protests calling the reports "absurd." In videos, police are seen in skirmish lines as protestors and supporters throw punches and eggs.

"I have a lot of authority over my officers but I don't have the authority to take their integrity away so there is no way an officer of mine would follow an order like that," said Chief Garcia.

After the meeting, questions remain over police tactics. Chief Garcia said the city had two days' notice and in hindsight needed more than the 250 officers on hand to quell the demonstration.

"I'm sorry that any of these victims were assaulted," Garcia said. "The officers did the best they could."

Earlier Wednesday, Trump supporter Juan Hernandez called for justice. The openly-gay Republican said he was attacked by an angry mob and wants the mayor and police chief held accountable.

"Instead of worrying about the people getting attacked," said Hernandez. "They are worried about controversy. They are worried about what they are going to look like."

Ben O'Hare who does not support Trump was also at the rally. He said most of the videos of the assaults don't tell the whole story. He claims he witnessed some supporters provoking violence.

"I think it could have been a lot worse than it was," said O'Hare. "I think police responding to protestors with a heavier hand would have created more violence than there already was."

Chief Garcia said most of the suspects are juveniles and local. He also said he has a roomful of officers reviewing video and gathering victim statements. He's hopeful more arrests will be announced Thursday.

Anyone with information is urged to contact the San Jose Police Department’s Assault’s Unit at 408-277-4161 or “311”.

Anyone wishing to remain anonymous may call the Crime Stoppers Tip Line, (408) 947-STOP (7867) or https://www.p3tips.com/tipform.aspx?ID=504

Persons providing information leading to the arrest and conviction of the suspect may be eligible for a cash reward from the Silicon Valley Crime Stoppers.  In addition, people can file a crime report online at http://www.sjpd.org/ReportingCrime/OnlineReport/