SF Chinatown beating victim talks to KTVU about attack

Two recent crimes in San Francisco Chinatown have alarmed people who live and work there.

One was a violent robbery on July 15, and less than a week later, there was a serious case of vandalism involving three vehicles. 

For the first time, the robbery and assault victim spoke to KTVU about his ordeal.

Walter Wong, a longtime business owner in Chinatown, hopes what happened to him will prompt city leaders to do more to prevent crime in Chinatown.

He says he's concerned for not only himself, but the safety of his community. 

On Friday evening, Walter Wong was greeted by a friend who asked him how he's doing as he returned to Chinatown for the first time since he was beaten and robbed along this busy corridor eleven days ago. 

He speaks only Cantonese and told KTVU through a translator, "I'm very scared. It's always a concern when someone comes up behind me.  I have to be very careful." 
On July 15 around 1 p.m., Wong says he was waiting for the stoplight to change at Stockton and Pacific when suddenly, three men came up from behind ,  grabbed him by the arms, assaulted him and stole his watch.   

"A couple of fellows behind me lifted me up. threw me on the ground . at that time I was unconscious. 

A 67-year-old friend of Wong's saw the commotion and tried to help.  Dashcam video shows a suspect punching the friend in the face and knocking him to the ground.  He suffered bruises.
As for Wong, he says he blacked out for several minutes. When he regained consciousness , he was surrounded by people including the police. 
He was taken to the hospital where he was treated for a fractured cheekbone and bruises to the back of his head. 

"The officers responded within 3 minutes," says Police Captain Robert Yick. 
He says he's added more foot patrol officers to the area that will last at least through the summer.  He says investigators are following leads including good surveillance video that will help identify the suspects. 

"We normally don't see this type of violence in Chinatown," says Captain Yick. 

Six days after the attack on Wong, a man used a broom to break the windshields of three vehicles that were stopped in traffic on Jackson and Stockton. Police say this incident is not related to the attack on Wong
But during a recent community meeting, people who live and work in the area expressed outrage. 

City officials say they are in the process of testing  surveillance cameras along Stockton street which are  expected to be up and running in six to eight weeks. 
"There are a lot of tall and short buildings ...a lot of awnings.  The idea is to get cameras on all diffrent angles from the top to the bottom to actually see what happens on the streets," says Yan, aide to Supervisor Aaron Peskin. 

As for Wong, he says  his injuries are still causing him pain. He says the brazen attack in broad daylight in an area filled with elderly folks and tourists is alarming. he wants the suspects caught and arrested. 
“I'm not able to return to work for another week. I hope this never happens to anyone else," says Wong  

He is asking for a stronger and sustained police presence in Chinatown. 
He says he would also like to see  more surveillance cameras  throughout the area. 
City officials  say  new cameras were already in the works  before the recent incidents.
They expect them to be up and running in six to eight weeks. 

On Tuesday, Chinatown leaders are scheduled to meet with former San Francisco Police Commission president Suzy Loftus who is now running for San Francisco District Attorney, to discuss safety and crime prevention.