'Our hearts shattered': Alexis Gabe's father on discovery of daughter's remains

The partial remains of missing Oakley woman, Alexis Gabe, were discovered on a rural road outside Plymouth, California.

A visitor from Alaska was using a metal detector when they came across part of Gabe's remains last week in rural Amador County, police said Monday. That discovery ended the 11-month search for the East Bay woman.

"Despite all the pain, anger, frustration, and grief, somehow, we're relieved she has been found," said Gwyn Gabe, Alexis' father, at a news conference. "We can bring her home."

Police believe Gabe's remains were separated and scattered in several areas. They did not say what remains were discovered out of respect for Gabe's family. 

A forensic odontologist used dental records to confirm the remains belonged to Alexis Gabe, who police say was killed in Antioch by her ex-boyfriend Marshall Curtis Jones. She was last known to be Jones in Antioch before she vanished in January. Because of the condition of the remains, the cause of her death has not been determined.

"Our hearts shattered even more than we thought possible," said Gwyn Gabe. "Deep inside we were still holding onto hope, that she's OK and that she's just out there somewhere, waiting to be rescued and reunited with us."

SEE ALSO: Couple killed in Redwood City crash leave behind twin 7-year-old girls

Police say they also found a black garbage bag, duct tape remnants and earrings that belonged to Gabe. 

Gabe's family said they are relieved that Alexis has been found, but said they were not stop searching until all of her remains are found. 

Gabe was 24 when she went missing on January 26, 2022. She was from Oakley, but Antioch police were also involved in the investigation of her death. Jones was ultimately killed in a standoff with police in Seattle when they went to arrest him.

Oakley Police Chief Paul Beard referred to Jones as a "form of evil that took her precious life." 

Oakley police Det. Tyler Horn said a motive was not officially known. "I don't try to get into the mind of a killer."

But Gwyn Gabe said, "We know why he did it, because he was obsessed."

He said his daughter and Jones had split up several times. But when the relationship ended for good, Jones never got over her, her father said.

"We didn't know that had a split personality, because in front of us he was always happy." he said.

A candlelight vigil will be held for Gabe on Dec. 9 outside Oakley City Hall. Her family plans to hold a celebration of life in January.