Commissioner John Stein said at a proposal meeting, "I really don't want to see downtown become a ghetto of affordable housing." Just two minutes later, he doubled down on his position saying, "I'm concerned that we not create a ghetto."
The Livermore City Council will consider expelling John Stein from the city's planning commission, after the former council member referred to a planned downtown low-income housing project as "ghetto" at the commission's April 20 meeting.
Real estate executive Rogers Healy said high taxes in states like California are drastically changing real estate trends. Hundreds of people moving to Dallas, Texas per day, he said.
Despite the COVID-19 pandemic and a recovering economy, California real estate remains a hot commodity.
About 59% of homes that went under contract had an accepted offer within two weeks of hitting the market.
A historic old San Jose apartment building is moving down the street after spending its first 110 years or so near the corner of South First and East Reed streets.
Construction workers rebuilding a bridge in the San Francisco Bay Area on Friday unexpectedly found two people living in a cave dug into an embankment, authorities said.
The historic Albany Bowl site could be replaced with housing.
In January, California beat an almost 18-year record for a single month's home sales and pricing spike. The last time prices and sales rocketed up more than 20% in a single month? August 2003.
Landlords with eligible tenants can apply to get reimbursed for 80 percent of a tenant's unpaid rent between April 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021, if they agree to forgive the remaining 20 percent. Tenants may also apply on their own if their landlords do not participate.
The Dublin City Council on Tuesday will consider entering an agreement to develop a downtown affordable housing project near the West Dublin/Pleasanton BART station.
Governmental red tape has kept 300 affordable housing units standing as a ghost fleet of former military homes with no concrete plan forward.
A 139-year-old Victorian house in San Francisco was loaded onto giant dollies and moved Sunday to a new location six blocks away.
Eight people were displaced from apartments above a neighborhood market that burned Saturday morning in San Jose.
The First Appellate District of the California Court of Appeal unanimously reversed a decision of the San Francisco Planning Commission that held that the unit owners were barred from an expedited conversion of the property because the tenant Iris Canada had been "displaced" prior to the conversion.
A new report lists Atherton with the most expensive home prices in the region, with the median price for a home hitting $6,350,000 in 2020.
In an unusual move, Berkeley wants to cap the number of parking spaces at new buildings around the city.
Since last March, when the COVID-19 pandemic began to surge across the country and local and state governments implemented stay-at-home measures in an attempt to slow its spread, about 1.1 million California households have fallen behind on rent, according to the report released Thursday.
A California coalition is proposing legislation to boost taxes on wealthy multinational corporations to raise more than $2 billion a year to house tens of thousands of homeless people.
By the end of January, some renters behind on their monthly rent payments could receive notices telling them to vacate.